Volume : VII, Issue : XI, November - 2018

Prevalence of Non-Communicable Diseases in a Rural Population of South India

Haseena T A, Dr. Kochuthressiamma Thomas

Abstract :

 

The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of non-communicable disease among rural population in south Kerala .The objective of the study were to assess the prevalence of non-communicable diseases among rural population. Methodology: Quantitative approach was used. Using convenient sampling technique, 2383 subjects who belonged to 778 households were surveyed and data were collected using questionnaire to assess socio personal data and prevalence of non-communicable diseases. The data were analysed using descriptive and inferential statistics. Results: The results revealed that 83.2% of them belongs to the age group of 20 to 60 years and remaining were (16.8%) above 60 years. Majority (85%) were hindus.83.7% were from nuclear families.5% had the habit of smoking, 1.8% had habit of chewing panparag 2.7% had betel chewing and 6% had the habit of alcoholism .The present study findings showed that 33.3 % had non con communicable diseases. Out of these, 15% has diabetes mellitus, 17% has hypertension, 2.3% has cardiovascular disease, and 2.8% have a diagnosis of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. There were subjects with stroke (0.9 %) and cancer (0.5%). Among the subjects with non-communicable disease, 74.5% of the subjects were following regular treatment and 14.5% were irregular in complying with the treatment.11.% % of the subjects with NCD were not following any kind of treatment for the disease.

Keywords :

Article: Download PDF    DOI : https://www.doi.org/10.36106/gjra  

Cite This Article:

Prevalence of Non-Communicable Diseases in a Rural Population of South India , Haseena T A, Dr.Kochuthressiamma Thomas , GLOBAL JOURNAL FOR RESEARCH ANALYSIS : Volume-7 | Issue-11 | November-2018


Number of Downloads : 225


References :